Friday, February 13, 2015

Call to Order: Mudroom Edition

Last year, I created a mudroom out of a small corner area between the 2 kid bedrooms {see that post here}.  That space functioned relatively well until my oldest child started kindergarten.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, could prepare me for the amount of paper/artwork/items that come home each week. I tried organizing the papers in the pantry (odd I know), then in a cabinet in the kitchen, then in her room, on and on.  Nothing was working.  

Then I took another look at this little corner.  What about all that wasted vertical space?  So I started researching storage cabinets on IKEA and didn't find anything that I loved.  I also didn't want to over-organize the space and cut into the walkway area.  It's a main thorough fare of the house.  

Introducing the new mudroom area...


I love how it turned out!

Favorite parts in no particular order:

  • Place for loose papers to go underneath the bench (usually artwork)
  • Hooks for backpacks
  • Place to put on shoes
  • Place for library books, folders, etc.
  • Chalkboard to teach weekly Scripture verses
Here is a quick how-to make your own mudroom type of space in whatever little nook or cranny you have. 

I found most of my supplies at Michaels.  They are carrying a new line called "Make Market" and it's 30% off right now!  It's ADORABLE.  Very versatile.  LOVE IT.  Check it out here.




One of my favorite parts is that the usable "paper" space has tripled and it doesn't take up precious floor space.  Here is a profile shot:)



Happiness, right?  A lovable little corner in this 1926 home.  Purposeful space out of a corner spot.  My organizing heart is happy.  Onto the next project!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment