Monday, March 10, 2014

Master Dresser Drawers: From yuck to yum!

I have been putting off organizing my side of the master closet for A LONG TIME.  Really, since November 2011 when we finished our house renovation.  Yep, it's now 2014.  YIKES-A-DOODLE. #wordoftheyearfor2014

Here is what my hubby's side of the closet looked like the day we moved in.  Literally.  I was unpacking the kitchen and he was organizing his side of the closet.  #priorities





This is a picture of our master bedroom before the renovation.  We had two separate closets that were about 5' feet wide each.  To say it kindly, they were overflowing with clothes.


As we discussed the house renovation, we decided a large master closet was a must.  Fast-forward to house completion.  Because all my clothes fit inside the closet and I can just close the door, I have not felt a desire to get it organized. Wow.  That makes even less sense now that I wrote it out. 

I have a large-scale overhaul on the master closet coming up in the next few weeks, but for right now I just need to utilize the space that I have.  First up on the list is organizing the built-in dresser.



Okay, so I'm getting real here.  Really real.  This is what the inside of my drawers look like. 




 
I do fold the clothes and put them away, but they always seem to end up like this so I didn't even tidy them up.  Keepin' it real, right?

Okay, onto the solution phase.  After conducting pinterest research, I decided to do wooden drawer dividers.  With my measurements in hand, I headed to Lowe's and purchased:
  • 1 x 6 x 8 ft Select Pine board ($17.92)
  • Sandpaper 
  • Clear indoor mounting tape
I had Edgar, the very nice man at Lowe's, cut the pine into my exact divider size.  Since I love pops of color I decided to wrap the pine wood with my colorful contact paper.


I used the spatula to help get out the bubbles.  The pine was super smooth so I only needed to sand the ends and then start wrapping with the contact paper.

I treated the ends like I was wrapping a present.  Nice clean edges.



All done.

I cleared out the drawer.  


 I played around with the dividers until I decided exactly how I wanted them to be.  Then, I used the indoor mounting tape to keep it in place.


I watched a tutorial from Pinterest and learned how to fold clothes so they are easy to see and keep tidy.  A winning combo!



I just love the pop of color.  Not too much, but just enough to bring a smile to my face each time I open the drawers.  





I heart before and after pictures.  Don't you? Sigh.



Total cost of project: $27.38
Time commitment: 1.5 hours

I love the results. I was able to fit my summer clothes and scarfs in the dresser as well.  I may end up displaying a few scarfs, but not all of them.

Is there a space you are putting off organizing?  Why not do it THIS WEEK? I'd love to hear what you are working on. 

Love.  The end.

 
You may also be interested in:

My Story
My Story
Cleaning Plan
Cleaning Plan
Organize It: Family Finances
Organize It: Family Finances
Command Hooks to the Rescue
Command Hooks to the Rescue

2 comments:

  1. I love the pops of color too! I'm giving you an early Christmas, 2014 list:
    Helping me organize the drawers in my closet dresser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine you needing help in this category!

      Delete