Sunday, January 31, 2016

DIY Fabric Backing


Fabric backing is a FANTASTIC way to update/change a space.  You can do this on a bookshelf or in a desk area or really anywhere you have a solid backing.  It's a BIG bang for your buck!  It creates a new space with a tiny investment.  #win

We updated our living room over the holidays and I am LOVING my new workspace.  It's a drop-lid secretary desk that has a file cabinet on the bottom. So, so lovely.  It's from Ballard Designs. Click HERE to view product info. 





The black color goes great in our living room, but I wanted to lighten up the dark interior.  My mother-in-law found a wonderful fabric to do the fabric backing.  Super easy to do and it turned out SO GREAT!


Here is the step-by-step tutorial:

1) Buy foam board or cardboard to do the backing.  Measure out your space and cut the backing accordingly.  Side note:I used foam board on this one mainly because I only needed it for a small space. When I did the fabric backing to our family room built-ins, I used cardboard from moving boxes.  I think foam board it's a better fit for this project but it can be pretty pricey.


2) Slide the foam board in and make sure it fits.  I had to do a small cutout for the corners.  Make sure it's a tight fit BUT DON'T PUSH IT ALL THE WAY IN. 


3) Cut out the fabric and lay underneath the fabric backing.



4) Hot glue the fabric to the backing.  Make sure you get the fabric as smooth as possible.


5) Repeat for all of the backing spaces.  Even if the dimensions are all the same, I would still fit each one into the area it will end up.  


6) Add into the space.  Warning: Once you push the fabric backing into the space, it's hard to get out. 




Do you have a spot that is crying out for Fabric Backing?  Try this one out!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment