Monday, April 21, 2014

Toy Rotation Strategy

I recently created a toy rotation solution for Sister's room.   One of my favorite solutions is the IKEA Expedit Storage Solution.  Stacking is not a good idea for kids (in my humble opinion) because they cannot SEE what they have so therefore they FORGET what they have.  So we decided to go vertical and we have never looked back. 


However, each week more stuff gets stacked on the bookcase and we end up with this...



So I implemented a new toy storage solution.  Sister has 2 closets in her room (she has the previous Master bedroom before we did the house reno) so I decided to utilize the upper area of her clothes' closet. 

I picked up 4 plastic storage bins from Lowe's.  The shelf I am using is only 13" wide so I had to be picky on the dimensions of the baskets. 


I decided to label the baskets 1, 2, 3 and 4 so we could rotate one for each week of the month.  I printed the numbers with a font I liked - one number per page (so they would be big enough for me to trace).

I cut out the numbers and then traced the outline onto contact paper. 
 

Then I cut them out and placed them on the plastic bins and filled them up with toys.




I put a combination of toys/books in each bin.  In order to avoid the inevitable emotional drama of the week, I made sure to put at least one tiara in each bin.  #girlproblems




I am loving this solution.  Sister has "new" toys each week and they all have a place to reside.  Each Monday morning, we pack up the previous bin and pull down the next bin.


Could you do this in your house?  Pick a spot to start working on.  It's up to you to make it happen!



   






No comments:

Post a Comment