Thursday, March 13, 2014

Happy Washer, Happy Dryer


I finished my laundry room makeover last fall, but I am doing a few touch-ups and a big-time deep clean.  I have been inspired by Jen over at iheartorganizing.blogspot.com.  She is doing a "Monthly Clean Home Challenge."  After reading how she did her clean-cycle appliances here, I realized that my washer and dryer needed some serious TLC.

After a drainage issue last year with our washing machine, we learned how to empty the overflow valve (after I opened it too soon and it got water EVERYWHERE).

My poor, hard-working washing machine.


On my GE model, you have to remove the front panel to get to the overflow water area.  Some front loaders have an easy-to-access area, but mine doesn't.   You unscrew the screws by hand and the panel will pop off.


Now I can access the white overflow valve.


Make sure to have a large container ready.  If you have had your front loader for a while and not done this yet, you will be surprised at just how much water will come out.  BE OVER-PREPARED.  #lifelessonfortoday


Then the Clorox and I got to work.  

Ahh, so much better.  Lovely, clean, actually squeaky clean.  
Then onto the dryer.  First up, running warm water over the lint-catcher thing (technical name) with my toothbrush.  At this point, my daughter was VERY concerned that I would continue using the toothbrush. #kidworries

I looked inside the slot and realized how much lint there was.  DISGUSTING!  Unfortunately the handy toothbrush fell inside here and got stuck.  After about 10 minutes and a sharp, long fork later, I retried the toothbrush and got to cleaning out the inside portion.


Happy Washer, Happy Dryer.  


When was the last time you cleaned your washer and dryer?  Total peer pressure here: DO IT, DO IT!



   





1 comment:

  1. Whit, I have good news for you...they make a long handled, skinny brush, just for the purpose of cleaning out a lint compartment. I think I have one, and the fact that I'm not certain about that obviously reflects my need to give in to peer pressure and clean mine out.

    ReplyDelete