Monday, March 24, 2014

Matters of the Heart

What a weighty title, right?   So, the title of this blog is Call to Order: Organizing home, time and heart.  The heart.

Let me back up just a bit.  I'm in a wonderful, out-of-this-world Bible study program called Bible Study Fellowship.  Well, I'm not just in it, my children go with me.  We all learn Scripture.  We study it.  We grow.  AMAZING.

This year we are studying the gospel of Matthew.  It is my first time to study the life of Jesus in detail.  Not a parable here and a history lesson there, but the WHOLE life of Jesus.  We just finished reading Jesus' eight woes to the Pharisees (Matthew 23:13-39).  Jesus calls the Pharisees hypocrites seven times in this passage.  SEVEN times.  He also uses the terms blind guides/men, fools, serpents, and brood of vipers.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence... So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." Matthew 23:25, 28

The Pharisees worked very hard to appear righteous on the outside, but were full of self-indulgence on the inside.  They desired recognition from men more than from God. They idolized their rituals.  They choose to put more emphasis on the minute details of the law and forget the weightier provisions of the law - like justice, mercy and faithfulness (Matthew 23:23)

Stay with me here.  I need to be authentic.  To let my actions match my words.  To act pure and right on the outside, I must be pure and right on the inside.

This world has so much to offer.  So many things that can be fun and good to participate in.  As long as they do not become elevated and attempt to take God's place in my life. 

I love organizing.  The clean, crisp finish.  Everything has its place.  It's goodness. 

So where does organizing belong?  Organizing is good.  Organizing can be great.  Actually, organizing can be awesome.  It can take a space from yuck to functional.  It can help you utilize new areas of your home.  It can provide structure for you and for your family.

Organizing has a place in my life, but it is not my life.  My life belongs to Jesus.  I believe Jesus paid the penalty for my sin through His death on the cross.

When Jesus was asked,  "which is the greatest commandment in the Law? Jesus said to him,

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.  This is the greatest and foremost commandment." Matthew 22:36-38

Wow, all my heart?  all my soul? all my mind? How do I do that?  What does that look like as a busy mom at home with my kiddos?

Among other things, it means using time throughout the day to hide Scripture in my heart.

"I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11

In true "call-to-order" fashion, I created lovely, bright, fun Scripture cards to use.  I placed these in areas that I visit often throughout the day.  My favorite place is by the kitchen sink.  My life seems to revolve around the kitchen sink. 

I hope that you will use these Scripture cards with me.  Allow your "downtime" to be used for God's glory.  

Click to download

I created a page of blank ones so you can create your own.  
Click to download

What do you do to nurture a pure and right heart?  I'd love to hear from you!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment